Thursday, February 5, 2009

Photo - Old School Signaling

You know what's cool about Public Domain? It's cool that you can use pictures like this for anything you like! Even though this photo wasn't taken in Washington, it still gives us an important visual into the past of railroading. The Library of Congress describes the scene as follows:

Indiana Harbor Belt RR, switchman demonstrating signal with a "fusee" - used at twilight and dawn - when visibility is poor. This signal means "stop." Calumet City, Ill.

1 comment:

  1. Uhm. Something inside me bristles at "old school" but then I realize that I am aging like vintage wine! I prefer, Kurt, to call this "an early example of 'Positive Train Control'" wherein there is a strong visual signal, not cluttered up with humming, crackling, fade out or battery failure! I learned hand signaling as a youngster riding locomotives, and the handy "ditties" that went along with them, they themselves being great memory aids!

    ReplyDelete