Friday, October 31, 2008

Love For Trains Starts Early

If you're visiting WARail, you probably like a thing or two about railroading! It's clear that a typical railfan's love for trains must have started somewhere. For me, maybe it was the Northern Pacific and Milwaukee Road running through my backyard in Preston when I was young. I recall following with great interest and sadness when I heard that the tracks had been pulled, the Issaquah Trestle blown up, and no more trains would be running through. Or maybe it was my friend Jeff, whose Dad and Grandfather had both worked for the Great Northern. Maybe it was the UP and BN running in front of my college apartment in Pullman at all hours of the night; while I was irritated by the blaring but federally-mandated horn blowing of the UP, it was balanced out by the BN giving mere peeps from their horns at hours between 10pm and 6am.

Given my history with trains, I'm mostly to blame for my oldest son's love for a visit track side whenever we have the chance. While gas prices have really cut into those times, we value the opportunities we have to go search for trains in various parts of Seattle. And thanks to railroading, he has at least one healthy interest that can keep him away from unhealthy ones that could get him in trouble later. He draws trains now, and knows more about the BNSF than most 6-7 year olds. We don't have just one train set at home...we have various types of train sets from several manufacturers. He can speak more knowledgably about the Milwaukee Road than any other kid in the 1st grade, and can tell a yard switcher from a road switcher.

What I mean to say is that this pursuit of ours - Railfanning - is in my opinion a healthy thing to share with kids, and easily one that could occupy their time later in life when more dangerous pursuits could creep into their lives. My hope for David - and his brother Jack - is that trains are something they can enjoy as adults like we do, and then pass on to their kids.

What got you into trains and railroading? Share your comments below!

2 comments:

  1. My interest did not start with a close family member, but I have an uncle who certainly appreciates my love of trains. He did not become a part of my life until I was a teenager, as he was out of the country.
    I have a photo taken by my mom, with me in diapers, making a "train" of my sister's baby food jars on the kitchen floor. Does that give you the idea that this has been a lifelong interest for me?
    I have been able to pass along my interest into my almost 9 year old daughter. She knows WAY more about railroading than any other kid her age in town. Plus, she knows WAY more about railroad history in our area than many adults too.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first "memory" of a train was the tinplate "M10000000" Union Pacific streamliner "oval" set I got for Christmas as a very young man. Memory number two was my Uncle taking me to the CNR round house in Victoria BC. As we walked between two steam engines, I tried to get thinner! The heat, hissing, thunking and hot water dripping scared the bee-gee-bers out of me. Perhaps why I took to diesels!
    Robert in Port Townsend

    ReplyDelete