Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Seattle Weighs Streetcars vs. Trolley Buses

Funny to think that for the future of Seattle surface transportation, technology with roots in the late 1800s is being compared to technology that is not much younger. Streetcars and Electric Trolley buses were in a shootout last night at the city council meeting after the city's department of transportation presented reports on which parts of Seattle would be best served by either one.

Up front, the costs for electric buses are lower, but the report stated that the system doesn't last as long as a streetcar system or light rail line - which both cost more per mile. Then there's the thing that nobody wants to mention here, because it's a heartstring argument: data indicates streetcars bring in ridership better than buses, even if the overall costs are higher.

1 comment:

  1. I am a fan of both trolleybuses and streetcars, and partly because I have had the former in my neighborhood since just after I was born. I am going on 30 myself, the 7 was re-electrified in 1981. Now that Light Rail is coming into the Ranier Valley, I have thought a few times about the idea of converting the 7 into a streetcar. It might free up trackless trolleys for other routes.

    Now at least, I hope, a serious discussion in extending both is underway. Now the routes with the steepest grades should definately become trolleybuses, although exceptions can be made. I am one for restoring the Counterbalance so people can see what was one of our signature transportation operations before the trackless trolleys replaced the streetcars the first time.

    West Seattle is an interesting case. I am sure there are corridors that are streetcar-capable, but crossing the Duwamish is different. The Low-Level is a major truck route, and I am not sure if a streetcar can be added to the High-Level, so a new crossing will be needed. Ironically, the bridge that these two replaced, was built for streetcars to cross, but the problems of a low-level bridge manifested itself on June 11, 1978, when a freighter hit it.(I was born the next day). BTW, I do not think the Harbor Pilot deserved the fate that befell him, in a way, West Seattle benefited from the accident with the Hi-Level Bridge we have today, as well as the newer low-level with it's unique Double-Leaf Swing-Bridge design. Only one thing, can they replicate it a little further up-river for a new streetcar span?

    ReplyDelete