Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Video - Seattle Double Stack Train with Helper

Here's a little video of a Union Pacific double stack train that I shot along Airport Way South at Norfolk Street last January. It was the first time I ever saw something run through Seattle with a helper engine on the back end. While the train took a full four minutes to pass my location, I trimmed 2 minutes out of the middle of the footage because the whole thing looked the same; I may like trains but four minutes of sitting in a computer chair watching a unit train pass on the screen just isn't my thing. On a nice day this location will yield a stunning view of Mt. Rainier looking to the south. This day was more typical of Seattle winter - grey and 40 with some snow still on the ground.

Heading up the train is UP 7727 - a GE ES44AC. UP currently has over 700 of these. This particular engine really gets around; I found pictures on the Internet from what appears taken surfside in California and then also another in Illinois. I guess it's no surprise these things accrue a million miles with little effort.

2 comments:

  1. Good video! I liked the way you let the nose of the lead engine "push" the framing to the left - very professional. Cutting out the middle was a good touch - I would have left out the explanation - and proper use of fade to pick up the stern end. What's with the locomotive stuck on the rear end?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips O-E! My thought about the rear locomotive is that something on the train was really heavy? It sounded like it was running when it went past.

    ReplyDelete