Friday, February 20, 2009

Railroads and The Law Team Up for Safety at Crossings

The word "Sting" is usually associated with some seedy underworld dealings, typically a skin house or "massage" parlor. This time the word is used to describe cross-bureau operating teaming UP, BNSF, and local police to get the word out about safety at Railroad Crossings.

This is not a new subject for us her at WARail. Sadly, nine people died at crossings last year in Washington. I would love to see this go to Zero if possible, and this effort is well justified.

2 comments:

  1. The railroad put up a fence here in town to help deter some middle school kids from making a quick trip to school over the tracks. Now the kids just cross at the end of the fence.

    No one has died here in a while, thankfully, but when it happens, I'm sure the big mean railroad will be "at fault."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Breaks my heart when there are fatalities on the tracks, or even injuries. Most are avoidable. I went round and round with someone last year who said "it was Amtrak's fault that someone got hit on the tracks in Stanwood, because there aren't any direct routes across the tracks that are convenient." I think - like you describe with the kids just crossing at the end of the fence - it's always a matter of convenience over safety.

    I hope someday we won't have to post stuff about accidents at crossings, but I'm not holding my breath.

    ReplyDelete