Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Last Operational Wig-Wag in Washington?

Mike Bjork - fellow rail nut and Coug - sent me this picture from the Kamiaken Street crossing in Pullman WA. This could possibly be the last operational Wig-Wag signal in Washington State. The line that runs through Pullman is now owned by the Dept. of Transportation - WSDOT. A representative from that agency indicated to me in email that the State would definitely be interested in preserving this signal once its time has come. Until then, it will remain to warn drivers of the occasional train that runs through this intersection.

If you are interested in making sure this wig-wag gets saved, send me an email. I'll find out what we need to do!

6 comments:

  1. More wig-wag on http://mydadstrains.blogspot.com/

    Check out his passenger train ride, and note especially the shot out the cab window at the train, with the steam generator car trailing. Almost a mirror shot of my CNR cab shot of passenger train, a continent away in BC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. More wig-wag information, including a shot of a "dead" wig-wag! We must preserve the wig-wag! I'd like to get over to Pullman and shoot some hiqh quality video before someone or something happens to THAT unit!

    http://www.trainweb.org/dansrailpix/WIG_WAG_PAGE10d.htm#colton_O

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go to YouTube, plug in "wig-wag" and enjoy the various STYLES of "wig-wags." Thanks, Kurt, for bringing up this obscure rail crossing warning system! Do you recall any being in Seattle-Tacoma area?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kD9jKvI4Gw&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that most of the wig-wags were gone from the Seattle by the time I arrived here in 1969. It sure would be nice to maybe find one on a siding somewhere, but for the most part those bad boys are probably all scrapped or in museums by now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it would be a great idea to get over to Pullman and to start documenting this "mechanical gate keeper." The video might be kind of dull, as I'm told there's not much traffic across that line now, but pictures would certainly save this thing for the history books. Good thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am too young to remember seeing an active Wig-Wag. Your Buddy Robert from Oil-Electric asked me to stop by. If you get a chance please stop by my blog/s when you get a chance. I think you will like my blog I have for my Dad and his train pictures from years ago.

    www.mydadstrains.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete